This morning we went to Tom and Caroline's to drive together and as we got out of the car, John pulled our insulated canvas picnic basket and his backpack out of the car, which until this point I hadn't seen. John and Tom secretly loaded it up in the kitchen. After a quick walk around the farmer's market, we stopped at Starbucks to grab a coffee before our drive and headed out. I was settling in for the drive, sipping my coffee, and Caroline was attempting some more guesses about our possible destination. She's much more familiar with Michigan obviously, and was guessing Michigan State campus, Frankenmuth, MI, etc. We headed over to the interstate and, instead of turning left onto it, we turned right, back toward Royal Oak. Now I was really confused, especially when Tom pulled over and parked. Directly to the left was the Detroit Zoo... we had been in the car for all of five minutes. I was sooo happy because I have wanted to go since we moved during the summer and we had heard such great things about it. It was a beautiful day and I truly had the best time. Now enjoy all the pictures of the amazing animals we saw!

This is what I saw to the left from where we parked


Two penguins that seemed to be partners - they were doing a kissing type thing

Lindsey - these two are for you - made me think of Artex


Me and my sweet hubby

Tom and Caroline!

Llamas - testing the waters with a hoof


Young polar bear
Here's a video of the young polar bear doing some kind of fancy dance:
This was one of my favorite parts of the zoo - we were lucky enough to be in the underwater tunnel when the adult polar bear was swimming around. Incredible! Check it out:
Here's a video that John shot - a seal, in the same tank as the polar bear, that was enjoying the water jet right in his face - it was hilarious!

Prairie dogs

Cool horse type animal - can't remember exactly what it's called but they're extinct in the wild :(

The back of a wolverine

Setting up the fantastic picnic - fruit salad, pasta salad, potato salad, and chicken Cesar wraps prepared by Tom - delicious!!

The spread

Sleeping bear



I was chasing him around to get a good picture of the tail feathers

Loved this!




Mama and baby gorillas


Oh my gosh I crack up every time I see this picture - so glad I captured this moment!
And this is where we commence the tiger pictures - I could've taken a million but these are the best from today:

Me with the tigers - there were two of them - in the background




Gorgeous!

This tiger was laying on his back and sunning his tummy the whole time


This is for mom - pretty flowers - reminds me of our house in Allentown!

My humps, my humps...


So happy to get a soft serve twist (my favorite!!) at the end of the day

Of course he would... such a joker
I LOVE THIS POST!!! I miss my little Artex, I'm sure she's huge now... The video of the seal was friggin hysterical... Your comments are so witty I love them... I don't even know where to stop. This post was the bomb-dig, tell John that I think he did a great job - and you did a wonderful job at taking the pictures! I honestly think that you should submit some to the zoo for post cards!
ReplyDeleteThe zoo was so much fun! I also took a lot of video on my blackberry, but no one would want to hear me narrating...I'm kinda monotone.
ReplyDeleteThe tigers were awesome even though the only thing they did was rollover while we were there. They seemed to ignore the food people were throwing into their den trying to get their attention...cool nonetheless.