Monday, February 1, 2010

Dad and Susan visit Motorcity!

We were really looking forward to Dad and Susan coming to visit us for the first time. I had recently seen them at Lindsey's graduation, but I was there for such a short time we really didn't get to spend much time together, and John hadn't seen them since we visited them in July. While they were here we also celebrated Christmas and my birthday :) We picked them up from the airport after work on Friday and headed back to the apartment so they could get settled. That night we drove downtown for dinner and so they could see the city at night. We went to Andiamo for dinner and had a great view across the river of Canada. I tried Osso Bucco for the first time and it was amazing. After dinner we did the same thing we did with Pat & Nancy and took the elevator all the way up to Coach Insignia for dessert and drinks - we had a great creme brulee there.


Suz and Dad lounging in the huge chairs at Coach Insignia



John had been hinting that he wanted to go to the casino with my dad and I was really hoping they wouldn't want to do it but of course they did - Suz and I not so much. After dessert we headed over to Greektown casino and, ugh, what a nightmare! It was so crowded and filled with smoke and just not fun. I know that John wanted to play some blackjack but we couldn't find the card tables anywhere! Just tons and tons of slot machines, which dad played and actually won some money, which of course he ended up losing. We only stayed for about half an hour and I couldn't get out of there fast enough!

On Saturday we made our famous breakfast sandwiches and then gave them a quick tour of Detroit with a pit stop at the Hard Rock cafe so dad could get his shirt :)



We had lunch at the Traffic Jam & Snug and then made a quick pitstop at Motorcity Casino so they could see the difference between a nice one and the crappy one we'd gone to the night before. We headed home to relax for a bit and watched True Lies on TV, one of dad's favorites. We also exchanged Christmas gifts, and dad and Suz got us some really great gifts. We got 8 settings of our formal flatware, which I had been really wanting, along with the beautiful Reed & Barton storage box.





They also got us Wii Sports Resort which has a ton of fun games, and they got us a gift card to use at any Marriott, which I LOVE because we plan on doing a lot of traveling in the next year. That night we went to dinner at 220 in Birmingham and then headed over to the Comedy Castle in Royal Oak for a little stand-up comedy - it was so great and well worth the ticket price. We grabbed a drink at the Royal Oak Brewery after the show and then headed home for some much needed sleep after a long day.

On Sunday we made some breakfast and just relaxed around the apartment. We got Mexican for lunch and then headed off for the airport. It was a quick visit but great to have them and show them our new home :)

No comments:

Post a Comment