Thursday, July 22, 2010

The good news and the bad news

Just wanted to post a quick update - I found out on Monday that my contract at Motor would be ending in the end of July. I had just talked to Tina, my boss, in the end of June about my contract extending and she said she had put in the request to keep me there so I figured it was a done deal that I would be working at Motor until at least February 2011. However, last week Tina asked me to come into her office, which I never do, and I had a sinking feeling that it might be this. She told me the extension wasn't approved for budgetary reasons and that she had cried when she found out I wouldn't be able to stay! My contract will be ending in the end of July, so I still have another week and a half before I'm all done. In the moment I felt bad for her because I could tell how sorry she was to be telling me and I didn't really process what it meant. However, about 5 minutes later when I was back at my desk, it started to sink in and I got upset that I was losing my job. However, having had about a few days to think about it, I now am OK with it and know that it's really a good thing. I'll have been at Motor for a year and I've had another manager come talk to me about a position in their dept. that I might be a good fit for so I'm thinking this will really just be a short break until I start back up again. On the other hand, I'm going to try to look for something new because I don't think that I'm really challenged or progressing career wise at Motor and I could be doing something I find more interesting, so we'll see what happens. I'm definitely not looking forward to the job hunt because I did it when we first moved to Detroit and it was not fun to say the least, but I'm trying to stay positive and optimistic that it will all work out for the best.

Well I figured I'd get the bad news over with before sharing the good news. John's year-long fellowship with HAP at Henry Ford will be ending in about a week (ironic huh?) so he has been job searching for the past few months in preparation for his departure. He was confident that Henry Ford or HAP would offer him something, but we were also toying with the idea of moving back down south instead of staying up here. In the end, it made the most sense for John's career to stay up here because of all the connections he's made, while moving back south right now might be a step backward for him. He was lucky enough to chose between two positions here in Detroit - one with HAP and one with a company called McKesson (they are a huge company with several divisions, but the position John interviewed for was in the radiology client services division). He definitely struggled with the choice and it came down to the wire because McKesson's offer came a little later than we had hoped, but he did end up choosing McKesson because the position will expose him to so many more aspects of health care administration and provide a great wealth of knowledge. I'm very excited (and maybe a *little* jealous) for John and I know he's going to do an outstanding job. It's crazy how his start date is literally the first day I won't be going back to work at Motor - funny how these things work, huh? Just the balance of life I suppose.

Well since my job is ending and John's will be beginning, we figured we'd take a last minute trip to go visit my dad and Suz in Mt. Laurel since it might be the last chance we get. John will have the time off before he starts with McKesson and I'm actually going to be leaving Motor 2 days early so that we have a long weekend to visit with them since we'll have to drive with Charlie. I'm very excited to see them and spend some time relaxing on the boat :) Hopefully it'll do us both some good :)

No comments:

Post a Comment